This is the last post in the series I began Monday afternoon (dealing with the problems that prevent us from living with a sacred rhythm). We will conclude this series by looking at The Divided Life (this post will be a bit longer than usual).
The Divided Life is living a life that is controlled by the “gods of this world” instead of the God who created this world. Too often, we allow the gods of control, significance, or comfort to have our allegiance rather than being fully devoted to God. We are shaped by a number of things that turn our hearts away from the one thing that matters most… but the good news is that there is a cure (you don’t have to live like this anymore…)
THE PROBLEM: Double-mindness (a life of divided loyalties). We fail to make an ultimate commitment to what Jesus spoke of as “seeking first the kingdom of God” (Matthew 6:33).
THE SOLUTION: READ YOUR BIBLE DAILY! If you want to be saved from a life of double-mindedness, then you must be “transformed by the renewing of your minds” as Paul says in Romans 12:2. The regular practice of REFLECTING ON SCRIPTURE can renew your mind. Reflect on these 3 truths and then we’ll close with 3 practical suggestions:
- God’s Word has transforming power… We must hide His word in our hearts. I love what Paul says about God’s Word in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – (MSG) “There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.”
- God’s Word Washes Us Clean… “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.” Ephesians 5:25-27 What does it mean to be “washed” by the Word? (Consider what happens when something doesn’t get washed like it should… imagine how it would be if we let our dirty clothes sit untouched for months – the stains would sit in and the blemishes would stand out; now contrast that to what happens when something does get washed on a regular basis… which clothes would you want to wear?) God’s Word cleanses us and prepares us to live like Christ.
- God’s Word should DWELL in you… “Let the Word of Christ–the Message–have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives–words, actions, whatever–be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.” Colossians 3:16-17 (MSG) The NIV says “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly…” The Word of Christ cannot dwell in you until you dwell in the Word.
So, here are 3 practical suggestions to help you overcome The Divided Life (3 tips for reading & reflecting on God’s Word):
- Ask God to meet you in Scripture (be open to the possibility that God really is speaking to you through His Word).
- Read the Bible in a repentant spirit (read for transformation not just information).
- Take one thought or verse with you through the day (learn to meditate on God’s Word day and night).
Your turn… What are some other suggestions to help others overcome The Divided Life?